What do we look for in lady patriots?
As a representative of the student body, cheer and dance teams must always present good behavior. Beyond being a good dancer or cheerleader, coaches will look for these qualities when selecting members of the squad.
Tryouts for the 2019-2020 will be held in the Spring of 2019. More information will be posted when the date is closer.
— LHS Cheer (@TheLadiesofLHS) April 5, 2017
Tryouts Gear & Reminders
- Participants must wear athletic shoes, navy blue shorts and a plain white t-shirt each day.
- Hair must be pulled up and away from shoulders.
- All jewelry must be removed.
WHAT TO BRING ON THE FIRST DAY OF TRYOUTS:
- Signed Constitution (Back page only)
- Student Information Sheet
- First semester report card or transcript to confirm 2.0 GPA and no F’s
*Athletic Packets are no longer required by our athletic office for cheer
Varsity Captain’s Responsibilities
- Must maintain a 3.0 GPA or higher
- Promote positive attitudes among the team
- Communicate to teammates about upcoming times and events.
- Make sure the squad is productive and on task.
- Make sure that the crowd is engaged during games and there is no dead time.
- Encourage and initiate: a hard work ethic, a good attitude, responsibility, etc.
- Be the liaison between the squad and the coaches and parents.
- Keep the coaches updated on problems, concerns of team members
- Will be responsible for creating choreography and pep rally routines as needed.
- Commitments to attend all cheer activities. Arrive early to all activities! A captain should be the first
one to arrive and the last one to leave.
- Create new cheers/chants for games and performances.
- Call cheers/chants during games and performances.
- Lead practice as based on directions from the coach.
- Responsible for taking attendance at all activities.
- Ensure that the Spirit and Fitness Captains fulfill their responsibilities
- Help Junior Varsity Captains and cheerleaders reach their potential.
- Assist other captains when needed.
- Lead stretching and tumbling warm ups daily with a consistent routine
- Prepare choreographed tumbling for basketball timeouts and football sidelines
- Call cheers and tumbling during games and performances
- Uphold team traditions (locker room prep, senior night posters, big & little sisters).
- Collaborate with Student Council events, such as pep rallies and assemblies.
- Ensure that practice clothes are updated on the team calendar. Assign spirit days as needed.
- Organize and plan fundraisers for the team with the coaches.
- Organize pep rallies and other events to promote school spirit.
- Act as a peer mentor for teammates (support with academic and social problems).
- Ensure that all cheerleaders wear their appropriate outfits/uniforms.
- Act as the squad’s historian by taking pictures at practices, games, and events.
- Assist other captains when needed.
- Get squad stretched and warmed up for practices, games, and events on time.
- Assist coach with forming stunt groups for various performances
- Responsible for choreographing and teaching a variety of sideline pyramids to engage the crowd
- Create and lead conditioning routines for the team.
- Call cheers and stunts during games and performances.
- Find new and creative stunts for the team to try at games and performances.
- Organize all equipment to be taken to games, performances, events and taken back.
- Assist other captains when needed.
Price Sheet/Payment Schedule
|All Team Basics||Cost|
|Spirit Pack and shoes (Nfinity Rival)||$220|
|Cheer Camp (USA Spirit. Over night at Lake Las Vegas. Meals included)||$400|
|Warm Ups (Jacket and Pants) *Returners can reuse last year’s||$170|
|Uniform Rental *Returners will not be charged this year||$100|
|Cheer Bag (Nfinity with name embroidery)||$75|
|Pom-Poms and spanks (Varsity Spirit Fashions)||$75|
|Bows (2 sideline and competition bows, and homecoming bow)||$35|
|Choreography and Music (Home Routine and Competition)||$100|
|Competition Registration Fees (3 Local Competitions and Showcases)||$85|
|New Member Total||$1,295|
|Uniform 2 *Returners can reuse their uniform from last season||$295|
|Cheer Box *Returners can reuse their boxes||$75|
|Varsity Returner Total *Excludes uniforms, warm ups and cheer box||$950|
|(Moved up from JV or Freshmen) Returner Total
*Excludes warm ups and uniform rental
|New Varsity Total||$1,665|
|Payment Schedule||Due Date|
|Payment 1: $220 (spirit pack and shoes)||May 5|
|Payment 2: $400 (camp)||June 1|
|Payment 3: $350 ((poms, spanks, bows, choreo, jersey, comp)
|Payment 4: JV Returner $345
|Payment 4: JV moved up to Varsity $345 ($100)
|Payment 4: New Member (Varsity) $345
|Payment 5: JV Moved up to Varsity $100
|Payment 5: New Member (Varsity) $350
It is our hope that no player who is on the team chooses not to participate because of financial considerations. To that end, we do plan to offer several fundraising opportunities to help offset fees. Our philosophy is, if you want to play and are willing to work hard there is a way to make it happen.
As a Liberty Cheerleader…
- Your team comes first. You agree that the team is paramount. Your personal goals and your team goals do not necessarily conflict, but when they do, you accept that decisions made are for the good of the team.
- Rules help the team run smoothly. Each player must decide if she buys into our system and is willing to commit to the team. Every rule is to benefit the team and you must decide, in advance, whether you are willing to abide by them. If not, you should not be part of the team.
- Our team thrives on trust and respect. You must trust your coaches and your teammates and behave in a way that earns their respect. Without trust, our team is nothing. You must do everything reasonably necessary to make yourself and your team better.
- Our athletes must be coachable. There is often more than one way to do things correctly. In some cases, your coaches will select a specific strategy for the benefit of the entire team, even if it doesn’t benefit a particular individual. You must be willing to make changes according to your coaches’ suggestions. If coaches seem to be “riding” you, it is because we think you are capable of a higher level of performance.
- Our team works hard. Everyone wants to win, but few will make the sacrifices to do it. No one will give you anything in life – you must earn it. You cannot cut corners. Strive every day to improve.
- Our team has balance. To balance academics, athletics, work and family, you must plan ahead and make difficult choices. The choices you make will affect your future opportunities.
- Our team can be successful. Almost any obstacle can be overcome with hard work. Commitment, perseverance and responsibility will be rewarded.
- Our team has fun. Cheerleading is a fun sport. You know you’ve chosen the right sport if you cannot wait to go to practice, and love stepping on the performance floor with your teammates every chance you get.
- Our team passes it on. As you move through high school, share your new skills and insights with new or younger cheerleaders. Be generous with your time. Consider helping our new members, or coming back to help at tryouts. Be an active and involved Liberty alumnus.
- Remember, Once a Patriot, Always a Patriot!